Prepare a personal evacuation plan. Where will you go if you need to evacuate? Make sure you identify this place well in advance.
Know the hurricane evacuation route for your area. Plot the route on a map so if you get flustered you don't lose your way.
Keep Yourself Updated
If a storm hits, listen to the radio to find out if the National Weather Service is advising those in your area to evacuate.
Family Disaster Supply Kit
- Emergency medications (at least 3 day supply)
- Non-perishable food
- Blankets and pillows if you are heading to a shelter
- A non-electric can opener
- Bottled water (at least one gallon per day per person)
- A battery-powered radio
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Extra clothes
- Important documents
- Cash and credit cards
- A first aid kit
- Other special items for infants and elderly or disabled family members
- Deck of playing cards