If I have a lien on my property, what can I do about it?
There are two types of liens that can be placed on a property, Fixed Lien or Running Lien.
A fixed lien is a lien that the amount doesn’t change. A running lien is an amount that is accruing at a specific amount per day, this is typical of a property that was found in violation and has not corrected the violation(s).
The first step to handling a running lien is to correct the violations as soon as possible and call the Code Enforcement Office for a re-inspection of the property. Once the inspection has been completed, the running lien becomes a fixed lien. At that time the property owner may complete a Lien Reduction Application to request a reduction from the Code Enforcement Board. The property will need to be in compliance with all City Codes at the time of the request and remain in compliance through the duration of the Lien Reduction process. Once the application has been completed, the fee has been paid and the property has been re-inspected, the case will be placed on the next closest CEB agenda. (NOTE: The applicate will need to be present at the meeting for the request to presented before the Board.) After the CEB has heard the case and made a recommendation, the case will be placed on the next closest City Council Agenda for Approval or Denial of the recommendation. (Note: The owner may choose to be present at the City Council meeting, it is not required but it’s recommended.) If approved the property owner will have 30 days from the City Council meeting to pay the reduced amount. (NOTE: if the owner fails to make that payment the lien will revert back to the original amount and the owner will not be allowed to request a reduction again from one full year.) Once the amount is paid in full, staff will request a Release of Lien from the City Clerk’s Office.
Note: Abatement liens (weed or demo) are fixed liens that are not eligible for a lien reduction; these types of liens are services rendered and are required to be paid in full for the service(s) rendered.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Notice of Violation?
2. What needs to happen when I receive a Notice of Violation?
3. What is a Notice of Hearing?
4. What do I need to do when I receive a Notice of Hearing?
5. Who is responsible for a code violation, the tenant or the property owner?
6. If I am concerned about code violations, what should I do?
7. What are the rules on yard maintenance?
8. Where can I park my RV/Camper/Boat on my property?
9. Where can I park my landscaping/cargo/utility trailer on my property?
10. Are commercial vehicles allowed to be stored/parked in my neighborhood?
11. Can I place a temporary storage unit or cargo container on my property?
12. How many dogs and/or cats are allowed per home in the City?
13. If my neighbor has a pool that is not being maintained, what can I do?
14. If my neighbor has a dead tree in their yard and it is or could affect my property, what can I do?
15. Once a complaint is has been filed, what are the steps for Code Enforcement?
16. How do I pay for a Code Enforcement lien on my property?
17. If I have a lien on my property, what can I do about it?